≡ Menu

Gratitude and an extreme 80/20 Rule

I was taking our dog, Oscar, for an early walk in the woods behind our home this morning. It is something I do whenever I can. I find that it enhances my early morning gratitude, purpose and priority thinking.

Anyway, today Oscar and I set off, well before what passes for sunrise in Surrey at this time of year, armed with poop bags, doggy treats and an enthusiasm for what the next hour together might bring.

And then it struck me.

Sometimes we just don’t know how lucky we are. There I was, carrying eco-friendly, biodegradable, low carbon footprint technology for my dog’s poo! What a luxury!

Furthermore, there is a competitive market for poop bags in the UK. Manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers compete in that market; and we make discerning consumer choices within that market. What would people living within a step from an open sewer think of me spending on such luxury?

Is this the most Extreme example of the 80/20 Rule

That got me thinking about the Oxfam report just before the World Economic Forum in Davos this year.

It details probably the most extreme example of the 80/20 rule I have come across. It claims that the richest 1 percent of the world population own more than the other 99 percent put together. Furthermore is suggests that 62 people (53 of them men) own as much wealth as the world’s 3.6 Billion poorest people.

Of course, we must always approach statistics with some caution but it got me thinking and I hope it gets you thinking too.

I have a great deal of sympathy with the Roman orator and philosopher and politician, Marcus Tullius Cicero’s  assertion that

“Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I can’t help wondering what the world would be like if we all approached life from a deep sense of gratitude.

I outlined my own early morning practice to help me weld strategic purpose to daily priorities from a position of gratitude in an earlier post  here which you might find useful.

Purpose puts Priorities into perspective. Gratitude is a great fuel for keeping us on track to our true North and managing the competing priorities and challenges along the  way. As William Cowper (1731-1800) said:

‘The only true happiness comes from squandering ourselves for a purpose’ 

So, there you have it, an extreme 80/20 Rule example, purpose and priority management and gratitude – all found through an indulgent poop bag before 7am today. Onwards and upwards, friends!

Photo copyright

{ 2 comments… add one }
  • Richard Maybury March 15, 2016, 4:39 pm

    Thanks Maggie

  • Margaret Mary Maybury March 15, 2016, 4:10 pm

    Thank you Richard. It certainly got me thinking!

Leave a Comment

I love sharing with humans *